Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Week Six: Copenhagen & Aarhus


On the plane to Copenhagen, I thought it would be a good idea to place my iPhone into the airplane pocket in front of me. Then I said to myself "better not forget that!" And then I forgot it. Regardless, I made my way to the hostel where I was meeting my cousin, Steve. This "hostel" completely lacked the occasional charm of a hostel, with its party atmosphere and quirky DIY vibe. This "hostel" was pretty much just an office building filled with bunk beds. We arrived in our room at 10pm at night whilst everyone was still asleep. There was a 65 year old married couple who had pushed their beds together and were sleeping in their underwear. We then decided to take a stroll around, which inevitably was just a long detour to a Macca's run. But Copenhagen was looking pretty cool to me. Steve told me about a place near Copenhagen, that I think is genuinely called "Pusher street" where it is legal to buy and sell drugs. The only thing that is illegal is to take photos. Pretty cool.


The next day we walked to this statue that you can vaguely see in the background of this selfie. For some reason, this statue of the Little Mermaid is like really famous. This statue can be added to the underwhelming tourist destination list. We walked for about an hour to take this photo, and then we left to go get calzones for lunch. Steve and I did also play an extended game of Game of Thrones guess who, which spanned a few days. Then we encountered this amazing franchise called Joe's Juice or something, which is most famously known for their incredibly attractive super-model like staff, with so many different kinds to choose from. Me and Steve did sit at the counter for about 45 minutes watching them dance around, making coffees and turning blenders on and then off. Riveting stuff. Then we got caught in some kind of rain blizzard and I actually almost blew away almost 5 times. Later that night, we were originally going to see Planet of the Apes, but when in Denmark, films have Danish subtitles, so when the monkeys start speaking in monkey sign language to each other, we wouldn't know what they are saying. So we saw Guardians of the Galaxy, which is like the best fucking movie ever. Then, we went to the Tivoli, which is like an adventure park from a fairytale. Lovely.

Then that night I stayed awake the whole time listening to an old man instigate an earthquake with his mouth every time he snored. He had had actually forewarned me that day, as if telling me he snores would make me hate him any less. The next day we took the train to Aarhus, were Steve was working. I stayed in his friends apartment on a blow up mattress for 3 days, as I was visited by a strong wish to remain in bed the entire time. People don't think about that when you travel, that you forget that you bring yourself with you. You're hungry, you're tired, you're hot, you're cold. It never ends. 

1 comment:

  1. YAY! i'm a feature! don't forget the 5 Krones game... mmm 5 Krones everywhere... mmmm

    ReplyDelete